Re: Mirroring redo log groups or not ?

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_at_singnet.com.sg>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 00:35:34 +0800

Was there any noticeable improvement in performance / waits (e.g. significant decline in "log file sync wait"s) after cutting down to 1 member per group ?

If your "log file sync waits" were truly because of redo log write waits you would also have seen "log file parallel write" waits. The former are waits reported by foreground processes while the "log file parallel write" waits are reported by LGWR exclusively.

In some environments "log file sync waits" are not necessarily all because of LGWR write performance. See MetaLink Note#34592.1.

Interleaving your Online Redo Logs between LUNs helps reduce contention between LGWR and ARCH. It may not necessarily help LGWR alone if LGWR is unable to write. Then, again, if 1 LUN is faster than the other, you will see some Redo Log writes faster than others !

You will always get the advice that you have to mirror your redo logs. Few DBAs would want to stick their necks out on this one. I have run production databases with only 1 member per group. After all, if I have only 1 filesystem available, all groups (whether comprising 1 or 2 members each) are on the same LUN !

Hemant K Chitale