Re: database monitoring tools - what is your short list of requirements?

From: John Kanagaraj <>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 20:59:23 -0700

> OID and Oracle Names would be good to monitor.
> Any specific suggestions as to what to monitor?

I would monitor name resolution (via ONAMES or OiD) a list of important TNS entries. I did have a script to do this but that was at my last job. I set TNS_ADMIN to a directory that had a SQLNET.ORA that pointed to one name res source only, one at a time, and just TNSPING'ed a set of known TNS entries and parsed the result for errors. This has caught a ONAMES failure that was the result of a malformed TNS request from a specific MS client.

John Kanagaraj <>< (Sorry - not an Oracle blog!)