Re: DBA Skill tree

From: Rich <richa03_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 19:06:18 -0700

I feel Mark is right on the mark - pun intended - as to the base which should be required before Oracle DBA.
I'd like to expand on this by adding the following Oracle skills - in order: [different amounts of knowledge in these areas would indicate the level in that area - basic, standard and advanced]

Backup and recovery - this should be the first thing a DBA learns (and repeats after substantial DB change, and creates written procedures for).

Install and configuration of Oracle [DB] software - custom and silent installs, etc.

Tuning SQL - starting with explain plan and ALL the functions by which Oracle accesses blocks, moving through the optimizer and finally newer features like AWR, SQL tuning sets, profiling, etc. Add to this the different methods by which the execution plan can be influenced - stats, hints, profiles/outlines, etc.

Tuning the Oracle server. Understanding the pluses and minuses of each parameter (both visible and some of the more common hidden [underscore] parameters). Knowledge of how oracle processes work - what they are responsible for and how they use memory, disk and CPU to accomplish their charge. Wait interface and more of each wait type. More competent DBAs will know latches, locks and enqueues from the common ones through the corner cases, their function and the "fix". Being able to detail what the positives and negatives are in relationship to the "fix". Should include the newer mutex types and why Oracle made this structural change.

Some of the more common "edge cases" - like partitioning, special datatypes like comparing LONG RAW with BLOB with SecureFiles, RAC, etc.

I can expand more on this, however, Is this the type of info you are seeking?