Re: database monitoring tools - what is your short list of

From: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 12:48:50 -0700 (PDT)

Yes, I'm aware of the default 7 day limit. I changed it to 14 days on the database I considered the most important. I just want to have a quick way to graph the trend of any stat or event on an ad-hoc basis using a tool our team is already using, i.e. Grid Control.

Writing a SQL to extract numbers and plot is what I usually do. From the simplest to more sophisticated: * my rpad()-based SQL
http://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/making-graphical-reports-from-oracle-metrics,23 * using Excel (put numbers in columns and plot, or use VBA code like the one by Tanel Poder) * using specialized tool such as Apex

But since our shop uses GC to do most monitoring, I thought there was a page in GC where I can pick from a drop-down a statistic or wait event and get the curve.

Yong Huang

  • On Sat, 4/4/09, John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_gmail.com> wrote:

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_gmail.com> Subject: Re: database monitoring tools - what is your short list of To: niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com, yong321_at_yahoo.com, oracle-l_at_freelists.org Date: Saturday, April 4, 2009, 2:09 PM

Yong, keep in mind that the time period is dependent on your awr retention. 7 days may be too short to detect trends. You might want to extract selected stats from awr and create a custom sql to graph that. This would probably easier done using apex.