Re: DBA Skill tree

From: Nuno Souto <dbvision_at_iinet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 13:31:02 +1000

Stefan Knecht wrote,on my timestamp of 4/04/2009 12:42 AM:
> I don't agree. After being an instructor for oracle courses for the past
> 3 years, I can say very confidently that the years of experience count
> for nothing when it comes down to really knowing how oracle works.

Funny. I can say exactly the opposite.
But then again, I've been a dba for a LOT longer than 3 years.

> There's people that "use" oracle and there's people that use oracle. How
> long you do it doesn't really mean much. Its all about how curious you
> are, and how much effort you put into it.

That, I agree.
Having said that, I'll also mention that anyone who has been a dba for 10 or more years PROBABLY has a little bit more commitment to the job and the type of work than a newb freshly painted with a "certification"?

Might be just me, but someone who shows a track record in a given profession is at the very least showing a willingness to stick to the job and learn about it.

Of course: some might classify a long time dba as someone who has become stale?   I've got news for those: it *is* a stale job. How many different "innovative" ways can one manage space allocation?

Yeah sure: nowadays you might look at a nice flash graphic - that essentially shows you nothing above the basic numbers. A dba trained in more traditional fashion might actually have looked at said numbers and tried to make some sense of them over time. Like: detect trends, capacity plan, find abnormal patterns of growth, etc. Something you simply cannot do looking at graphics.

> Especially nowadays, you can be a full-time full-GUI DBA using nothing
> but enterprise manager (I'm not saying this is good, mind you) -- but
> you see it more and more. And I honestly believe someone that works like
> this for 3 or 4 years has a far less good knowledge about oracle than
> someone taking it apart for 6 months, doing so passionately.

Don't expect anyone with little experience to do it anytime soon, though.

And there is a LOT more about the dba job than simply "taking Oracle apart".

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto