Re: write performance - broad generalization

From: Christo Kutrovsky <kutrovsky.oracle_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 15:46:41 -0400

Michael,

I agree with Greg, you need to test multiple concurrent write to get maximum performance. Multiple controllers and multiple paths to the disk are only used when you have several IOs to be written at the same instant.

Note that this is a pure sequential write performance test. It is very different then what DBWR will write.

If you want to perform the same read test, you can use rman's "backup as copy validate" and setup multiple default channels.

Things to be carefully about:

- direct_io
- async_io
- shared metavolumes on the SAN and activity on other machines.

The times you get should be very consistent. Especially single thread. If it changes, then follow up on some of the above points.

--
Christo Kutrovsky
Senior DBA

-- Christo Kutrovsky Senior DBA The Pythian Group - www.pythian.com I blog at http://www.pythian.com/blogs/ -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l