RE: Dataguard switchover

From: Goulet, Richard <>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 10:00:04 -0400

Why teach a trained monkey to do the job. Because upper management is being led to believe that a full time DBA is not really required to manage their databases. That the databases and their accessories (grid control as a for instance) are so simple that the trained monkey (at a lower pay scale) can do the job. Problem is, what does the trained monkey do when he's faced with a plain old vt100 terminal & sqlplus only to fix things?

Dick Goulet

[] On Behalf Of Howard Latham Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 2:55 AM
To: Jack van Zanen
Subject: Re: Dataguard switchover

because I am the only dba and not being from Krypton I sleep get ill and take holidays!

2009/4/3 Jack van Zanen <>

        Answers have been given

        Begs the question though.....WHY ask a trained monkey to do the switchover. This looks to me like it should be scripted or a DBA task not a manual job for an operator who may make a typo while connected as SYS, and than what?

        2009/4/2 Howard Latham <>

                Has anyone written a guide for a non dba to do a manual dataguard switchover on Linux Oracle 11g?

		Howard A. Latham

	Jack van Zanen
	This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential
material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies.

        Thank you for your cooperation

Howard A. Latham