Re: Why won't OEM send alerts

From: Rich Jesse <rjoralist_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 12:15:29 -0500 (CDT)

> Hi rich, i'd check the descriptions very carefully. I think that you
> will find that emails count as a notification method and thus are
> added cost. The alert which is free corresponds to manually checking
> the website. This may have changed in 11 but i wouldn't count on it.
> Personally i think the distinction between alert and notification is
> unacceptable and devious. It was there last i looked though.

I retract my statement -- GC pricing *IS* that bad!

We do have the Diag and Tuning Packs. However, they're not licensed for one of our non-ERP DBs, and I unchecked them in GC's Management Pack Access when I installed the GC agent on that server.

I couldn't figure out why my Perl checker paged me Tuesday night about that DB bouncing, but GC didn't flinch. Mystery solved!

It's depressing how expensive the pricing is. If the tool had a major advantage over others, perhaps, but IMHO it doesn't and is lacking behind others in many ways.

Thanks,
Rich