Re: database monitoring tools - what is your short list of requirements?

From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink_at_optimaldba.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:32:20 -0600

It is necessary that the monitoring tool be able to monitor itself. Kind of like how PMON and SMON monitor each other.

I really don't care what language the core functionality is written in...as long as it works and is not too much of a resource consumer. It's when I want to add custom monitoring that I want to use the lowest common language. If a new DBA comes onboard and does not know tcl/perl/java, it will take time for them to learn the language and be able to support the customizations/enhance the tool.

Regards,
Daniel Fink

--
Daniel Fink

OptimalDBA.com - Oracle Performance, Diagnosis, Data Recovery and Training

OptimalDBA    http://www.optimaldba.com
Oracle Blog   http://optimaldba.blogspot.com

Lost Data?    http://www.ora600.be/