Re: Nologging clause

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 16:31:52 -0700

Conventional inserts into a nologging tablespace/object still generate redo in archive log mode. Only direct path operations will be nologging. The other option is to switch to noarchive log mode.

http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/asktom/f?p=100:11:0::::P11_QUESTION_ID:5280714813869

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:07 PM, William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am running oracle 10.2.0.3 SE. We are in the process of implementing CAS (Central Authentication Service). The request has been made to use an existing production database to house the repository for the tickets. The database in question is one which will be phased out so usage is declining and will ultimately be used only for the CAS repository. Currently the database is in archivelog mode. There is no need to be able to do a point in time recovery of the CAS repository so I would like to turn off logging of those transactions to keep the archive logs from growing and grabbing all available space (there is enough space to hold the existing application, the CAS application but probably not enough to hold all the redo which would be generated by the CAS tickets and the existing application). I agree, it sounds strange. The tables holding the CAS tickets are in a separate tablespace. If I alter that tablespace and set nologging will that stop redo being generated against tr
 ansactions in that tablespace? As I understand the documentation setting nologging will prevent redo generation for transactions in that tablespace. I don't have a setup in which to test this. I hope I have stated my question clearly.

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn