Re: Change of hostname

From: Ray Stell <stellr_at_cns.vt.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 09:29:29 -0400

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for this effort? I can't for the life of me figure out why a sysadmin would make such a request. Of what significance is a hostname? The name could be doodah and it would serve the same purpose as my personal favorite string, fred. The function of fred or doodah is in the sysadmins docs.

I guess I was just putting myself in your shoes and wondering if my sysadmin said the same thing to me, if I would reply, "failure to plan on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. Go jump in a lake." Or more politely, why are you not just changing the sysadmin docs? Or they could do something really clever like use a dns cname, tadahhhhhh.

There is no doubt some real problems that need to be solved. This looks like a made up one. Or maybe there is a real reason and I'd like to know about that.