RE: sane number of the table partitions in DWH

From: Kenneth Naim <kennaim_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 13:02:12 -0400

How many rows would each partition have with 200k partitions? I have a 1tb table with 4-5 billion rows so if your table was similar to mine (5 billion rows/200k partitions) you'd have 25k rows per partition which seems pretty small to me unless the partition key was in every query.

Unfortunately, our partitioning scheme doesn't have enough partitions as we partition by quarter and have up to 1 billions rows per partition, but the way the third party app is (poorly) designed we don't have much choice, so I can't give you advice on that number other than it seems remarkably high. I'd like to hear what you end up doing and how it works out.

Thanks,
Ken