Re: how to prevent DBA burnout?

From: Stephen Booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:38:33 +0100

  • Forwarded message ---------- From: Stephen Booth <stephenbooth.uk_at_gmail.com> Date: 2009/3/30 Subject: Re: how to prevent DBA burnout? To: joerg.jost_at_unitrade.com

2009/3/30 Joerg Jost <joerg.jost_at_unitrade.com>:
> Am Montag, den 30.03.2009, 10:06 -0400 schrieb Maria Gurenich:
>> INDEED!!! :))))
>>
>> I wonder how many hours a week Germans need to work at least?
>
> Normaly something between 37,5 and 40 hours from Monday to Friday.

Four to six weeks leave a year and a 36.5 to 40 hour week are typical here in the UK.  Technically those 4 to 6 weeks an include public holidays (about 8 to 10 days a year) but no place I've ever worked has done that.

> But you know, that is not what really happened ;)

It is rare I've ever worked just my contracted hours, over time is the norm.

> Indeed, we do have really strong unions, strong and powerfull.

Following the Thatcher years unions lost a lot of strength here in the UK.  Still much stronger than the US but not as strong as Germany or France.  Things are pitched very much in favour of the management and against the workers.

> Many differences between Europe, espacially Germany and the other side
> of the Atlantic in cases of employment and social systems. This one is a
> good one, others are not.

From what I've heard/read Germany does have a very robust social and employment system, as does France.  Norway's is just incredible.  That said, those countries have incredibly high per capita productivity rates, people may work less hours per annum and be paid more but they are very productive in those hours they work.

It's probably a cultural thing.

Stephen

http://stephensorablog.blogspot.com/ |
http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephenboothuk | Skype: stephenbooth_uk

Apparently I'm a "Eierlegende Woll-Milch-Sau", I think it was meant as
a compliment.