Re: Bitmap index costing - how to influence

From: Randolf Geist <>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 22:10:03 +0100

if you can influence the query, then you can try to lower the cost of the bitmap index access specifically to that query by using the (undocumented) OPT_PARAM hint introduced in 10g:

select /*+ opt_param('optimizer_index_cost_adj', 10) */ ...

If you can't modify the query but the query is static, you could apply this hint using Stored Outlines or SQL profiles in 10g.

Oracle related stuff blog:

SQLTools++ for Oracle (Open source Oracle GUI for Windows):

> I am pretty much stuck on a bitmap costing problem.
> Any ideas on how to influence bitmap index cost, relative to full
> table scan cost? Anything goes as long as it doesn't break b-tree
> index costing.
> - optimizer_index_cost_adj - i will have to set this to 10 (10 times
> cheaper) for bitmaps to be used. I am concerned about proper
> calculations of b-tree indexes vs full table scans
> Any other ideas?

DSL zum Nulltarif + 20 Euro Extraprämie bei Online-Bestellung über die DSL Freundschaftswerbung!