Re: Bitmap index costing - how to influence

From: Randolf Geist <info_at_sqltools-plusplus.org>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 22:10:03 +0100

Chris,

if you can influence the query, then you can try to lower the cost of the bitmap index access specifically to that query by using the (undocumented) OPT_PARAM hint introduced in 10g:

select /*+ opt_param('optimizer_index_cost_adj', 10) */ ...

If you can't modify the query but the query is static, you could apply this hint using Stored Outlines or SQL profiles in 10g.

Regards,
Randolf

Oracle related stuff blog:
http://oracle-randolf.blogspot.com/