Re: views on views on views

From: Bill Ferguson <wbfergus_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:14:38 -0600

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Jack van Zanen <jack_at_vanzanen.com> wrote:
> Portability leads to inefficient use of the underlying database and
> inevitably to inefficient programs.
>
> I think it is just plain silly not to make use of the database features that
> every individual database manufacturer  adds to their flavour to improve
> performance.

Since I'm a one man shop, I like to try to keep things as simple as possible.

I hate java with a passion, I've only seen a handful of java apps that are actually useful and seem to work without causing some sort of problems (usually memory) on whatever platform they run on.

Anyway, with my databases, I have to allow for people connecting through practically every program out there (I don't know if it's even possible to 'disallow' an ODBC connection). Because of this, I try to keep all of the logic in the database, and only give the users access to views with INSTEAD_OF triggers. This is the only way I've been able to find that I can control how users interact with the data. If they could connect directly to the tables, I no longer have any control that 'their application' has implemented the proper logic. Building this logic into the database through the triggers eliminates (or at least drastically minimizes) the chance of user applications corrupting my data.

--
-- Bill Ferguson