Re: FW: views on views on views

From: Lyndon Tiu <ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 20:09:08 -0500

Mark W. Farnham wrote:
> So my question remains then, what do you mean by

I hope I answered your question in a separate post, quoted below:

"
But it depends how big your DB is and how much data is being retrieved by the application at a time.

Most databases are not that big and the application does not need the whole database to calculate some number. If that's the case, then we do not require all these DB features. Using these just makes more trouble that it is trying to solve.

The DB I am talking about is not big and the application does not retrieve the whole database to make some really complex calculation. So getting rid of those views on views on views ... and moving to the application was a justifiable step to reduce complexity and blood boiling. Some disagree, yes. But that's how it is and it seems to work. "

In the context stated above, my rule of thumb is to implement business logic in the application layer and treat the database as a database. I do break my own rule of thumb, but with great regret. To me, implementing biz rules in the database to satisfy performance and/or scalability issues means the data model is not properly designed. But that's just me (and the school of thought I am in).

 > Please understand that I *think* you have this all wrong, BUT I am  > genuinely curious about your reasoning.

Not a problem. You have the right to have your own opinion based on your experiences and from what you learn from others.

--
Lyndon Tiu