Re: views on views on views

From: Ram Raman <veeeraman_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 13:35:06 -0500

I was planning to open the exact topic a week ago, but was too busy. One of our users (you read it right) wants to build views that are multi layered like Chris talks about. I tried to talk about performance, she mentioned that it is ok and that she stopped at 9th level, ie 9 layers of view on top of view. IT was initially successful in preventing that, but apparently she used her clout and is having the view built :(

It is a good time to discuss the alternatives. With my knowledge, I can think of 1) Rewrite of the SQL 2) Materialized views.

Others can correct or add to it.