Re: Query to find DB Version on Rman Catalog

From: Bradd Piontek <piontekdd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 07:46:25 -0500

Nagaraj, I am not sure you are going to be able to satisfy that requirement, unless Oracle is hiding the version somewhere in one of the catalog databases. RC_DATABASE and RC_DATABASE_INCARNATION don't store this type of information. My guess is due to redundancy (you have to connect to a target to do backups, so why store it twice and have to worry about keeping it in sync between patching and upgrades) oracle doesn't store that type of information. Three solutions I can think of of the top of my head 1. create your own table on the catalog database to store this information. In past lives, I've used this to store database version, host-name, and various other information. The downside is you have to remember to keep this updated.
2. Create database links from the Catalog database to your rman targets so you can join v$version or v$instance
3. Connect to both the catalog and target similar to how RMAN would.

Bradd Piontek
  "Next to doing a good job yourself,

        the greatest joy is in having someone
        else do a first-class job under your