Re: Grabbing sequence values blocks in consecutive order: Need a guaranteed method.

From: Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il>
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 12:02:01 +0200

Can you provide some more information:
1) Can each file start with 1 and go on. 2) Does the threads create files for the same client or to different clients.

    I mean: for client A, is there only one thread that create a file or two threads that run at the same time creating two files for the client and you need the second one to start with the next number after the end of the first file.
3) Do you need the number to continue on the next file creation or the next file can start again from 1.

I think you can create a table with client id as a PK and one field with type number.
At each run, the thread lock the record that contain the client id and increment the number in memory.
At the end it just update the number in the record. This way, runs for different clients do not interfere with each other and runs for the same client will be executed serially. If the thread fails, then you do rollback and no numbers where skipped over.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel