Re: Grabbing sequence values blocks in consecutive order: Need a guaranteed method.

From: Greg Rahn <greg_at_structureddata.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 12:10:48 -0700

Taking a big step back from all the suggestions, I would like to ask what is the specific level of granularity required for the ordered/gap less sequence. For example, is this for "things" withing a given application transaction? Is it across multiple "things" for application transactions? I'm also curious what the requirement (business and/or technical) for gap less sequences is?

Order implies a level of serialization and gap less order implies exclusive serialization and serialization is the bane of scalability. There was a comment made about having 2 threads, but if they serialize for the same resource, what benefit is there to that?

--
Regards,
Greg Rahn