Re: strace dbwr to confirm O_DIRECT on Redhat Linux

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_evdbt.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 06:22:03 -0600

Hrishy,

You would not see the O_DIRECT flag unless you also saw the "open()" call. The key would be forcing DBWR to open another file-handle somehow, which is unlikely after instance startup if you have a small number of datafiles. Perhaps create a new tablespace in your SQL*Plus session while tracing DBWR, then ALTER SYSTEM CHECKPOINT?

Tim Gorman
consultant - Evergreen Database Technologies, Inc. P.O. Box 630791, Highlands Ranch CO 80163-0791

website   = http://www.EvDBT.com/
email     = Tim_at_EvDBT.com
mobile    = +1-303-885-4526
fax       = +1-303-484-3608