More efficient ways to do a select count(*)

From: FmHabash <>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 06:58:57 -0400

I see often times applications run such query on a high frequency basis and this seemingly harmless query becomes a top cpu consumer. For whatever reason applications need to do this, how else such query can written to avoid the FTS it often does. In a quick test, I saw doing count(primary key) is much faster and xplan shows index vs. FTS access path. For this particular issue, there is no PK on the table and using a UK does guarantee a not-null value. Any other ideas (parallel exec is not an option).