RE: Cannot See Table in MS ACCESS Using Oracle HS and Database Link

From: Langston, Chris <Chris.Langston_at_aa.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:28:19 -0500

Nigel,

I'm responding individually to you because a reply to the list does not seem to be getting thru. I've been trying for the last two days.

I managed to get the issue resolved but I'm not sure what resolved it because I tried several things at once and undoing each didn't not recreate the original issue. I did, however, determine that it was not an issue with case sensitivity. I didn't try all 512 combinations, but I did try it against the working mdb file and case didn't seem to matter.

Just wanted to say thank you for your feedback and suggestion.

Regards,
Chris Langston

From: Nigel Thomas [mailto:nigel.cl.thomas_at_googlemail.com] Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:24 PM
To: Langston, Chris; oracle-l
Subject: Re: Cannot See Table in MS ACCESS Using Oracle HS and Database Link

Chris

<guess>
Is there any danger that the table name is case sensitive; have you tried selecting from "some_table"_at_MS_ACCESS_DB (or "Some_Table", or "SOME_Table", etc etc - I calculate only 512 possible combinations for you to try) </guess>

Regards Nigel

2009/3/17 Langston, Chris <Chris.Langston_at_aa.com<mailto:Chris.Langston_at_aa.com>>

SQL> select count(*) from some_table_at_MS_ACCESS_DB;

select count(*) from some_table_at_MS_ACCESS_DB

                     *

ERROR at line 1:

ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

[Generic Connectivity Using ODBC][Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The

Microsoft Jet database engine cannot find the input table or query 'SOME_TABLE'.

Make sure it exists and that its name is spelled correctly. (SQL State: S0002;

SQL Code: -1305)

ORA-02063: preceding 2 lines from MS_ACCESS_DB

I've searched then Net, OTN and Metalink and have found lots of good information on Oracle and Access but nothing so far that addresses this specifically. One article mentioned using MS ACCESS to export/import the database into a newly created database to remove the security settings, but as stated in the constraint, I do not have MS ACCESS installed and neither does anyone else around me.

Any insight or link to some documentation would be most appreciated. It's nearly 5:00 PM now (quittin' time) and I'm heading out of the office for the day so an immediate answer is not required. I'll check back first thing tomorrow morning (3/18).

Chris Langston

NOTICE: This email and any attachments are for the exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, please do not read, distribute, or take action in reliance upon this message. If you have received this in error, please notify me immediately by return email and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your computer system.