Re: ASM not discovering disks after workaround for bug 6605620

From: <TESTAJ3_at_nationwide.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:16:10 -0400

Have you looked to see if its in /dev/oracleasm/disks yet?

Can I assume you did the oracleasm createdisk to mark it as asm disk(I know i'm stating the obvious to you but someone else might benefit) :P

joe

Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional Senior Consultant
Data Engineering and Administration
Nationwide Investments

(Work) 614-677-1668
(Cell) 614-312-6715

Interested in helping out your marriage? Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"
Dec 11-13, 2009 here in Columbus.

From:
Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com> To:
"oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date:
03/19/2009 01:12 PM
Subject:
ASM not discovering disks after workaround for bug 6605620 Sent by:
oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org

Today is our lucky day. =)

We attempted to add a new LUN to our 11.1.0.7 ASM, only to find that ASM no longer talks "properly" to our version of EMC. I am a bit miffed that Oracle thinks the problem is with EMC and has dismissed the bug from 2007. But, that aside. We forced the disk to be added with asmtool, however ASM does not discover the new disk. There are no relevant error messages in the alert.log. So... how do we add this disk to a diskgroup? The disk is named using the exact same formats that 4 pre-existing disks have (and which are in active use by ASM), and I know it is not an issue with asm_diskstring.

For those who are interested, the SRs are: 7486153.992
7486052.992

--
Charles Schultz