Re: 10046 trace and alert log destination full

From: Daniel Fink <daniel.fink_at_optimaldba.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 06:02:41 -0600

The key question to answer is "What else shares space with the dump_destination on the same physical/logical volume?"

If that volume also includes the archive_dump_destination, then you can cause the database to halt. If you share space with database files that attempt to autoextend and cannot, you can cause transaction failure.

Consider not activating BINDS in your 10046 tracing to save space. If you do not need the WAIT information and are just looking for the calls, you can save space there as well.

As I recall, if the instance cannot write log/trace files, it keeps going without interruption.

Regards,
Daniel Fink

--
Daniel Fink

OptimalDBA.com - Oracle Performance, Diagnosis, Data Recovery and Training

OptimalDBA    http://www.optimaldba.com
Oracle Blog   http://optimaldba.blogspot.com

Lost Data?    http://www.ora600.be/