RE: 10046 trace and alert log destination full

From: Yavor Ivanov <Yavor_Ivanov_at_stemo.bg>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 13:57:26 +0200

> Yes, database will continue even it is not able to write to the alert_log.

Well, maybe this is version-dependant. I've seen databases (10.1 and 10.2 on HP-UX) which freeze (you can't even shut it down) when there is no space in background_dump_dest. Of course, the database freezes when it needs to log something in the alert log. I've always thought this is expected behavior.

Regards,
Yavor Ivanov

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Asif Momen Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:06 PM
To: ORACLE-L; adar666_at_inter.net.il
Subject: Re: 10046 trace and alert log destination full

Hi Adar,

Instead of filling the 21GB space with the trace info, you could use the "max_dump_file_size" initialization parameter to set the maximum dump file size.

This way you will limit your trace file size. Also, 21 GB of trace data will be too much to digest.

> What happened when this fill up?

Is this space allocated to ?

  • archive location,
  • data files
  • log files

Yes, database will continue even it is not able to write to the alert_log.

Regards

Asif Momen
http://momendba.blogspot.com

  • On Tue, 3/17/09, Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il> wrote: From: Yechiel Adar <adar666_at_inter.net.il> Subject: 10046 trace and alert log destination full To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Date: Tuesday, March 17, 2009, 12:45 AM

I plan on activating sys 10046 trace, to find a problem that occurs late at

night.

I have about 21 GB free space on the server.

What happened when this fill up?

That will stop also the alert log from being written.

Does oracle stop in this case or does oracle continue to work and skip the log

and trace?

TIA

  • Adar Yechiel

Rechovot, Israel