Re: ** performance with delete

From: Jaromir D.B. Nemec <jaromir_at_db-nemec.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:55:33 +0100

Hi Joshi,

> I have a choice to do delete of rows for tables in OLTP db on 10g on sunos on ongoing basis or do it once in six months.

If you have a luxury of maintaining window use it and do what is the simplest solution for you. Alternatives to reorg via exp / imp are CTAS with recreating indexes and renaming. If the system should work continuously use - as proposed by Mark - the partitioning schema. Either as rolling window (range or interval partitioning with dropping the oldest partition) or the "switching" schema of active and archive partitions. Dependent on the application demands you will eventually need to enable row movement or use combined partitioning.

Kind Regards,

Jaromir