Re: quad socket, 24 cores tpc-c report posted. (Oracle Standard Edition, Standard Edition One licensing)

From: Niall Litchfield <>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 11:45:57 +0000

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:31 PM, Paul Drake <> wrote:

> Here's something that I read today that I found to be quite fascinating.
> Its a tpc-c report for an HP DL 380 G5 server, loaded up with four x
> six-core processors.
> It ran Oracle Standard Edition of the database server software, licensed
> for 4 processors.

Or to put it another way, the memory for the server cost more than the database license :). Or to put it yet another way, they bought 1000 hard drives, and didn't consider partitioning.

It's actually a great report, though perhaps not in the way Oracle and HP might want since it's more evidence that what you need for great TPC-C scores isn't great software, or the latest hardware but shed-loads (technical storage term) of disk spindles.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA