Re: NetApp SnapManager - Solution for test db creation and storage reduction

From: Chen Shapira <cshapi_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:11:19 -0700

Hi Ben,

> Does anyone have experience with NetApp?  (see the url below)
>
> I'm looking for feedback on good or bad experiences, customer service,
> issues found with the technology, etc.  Is this a good direction?

Are you asking about Netapp in general or do you already use Netapp storage and ask about SnapManager?

The advisability of using Netapp really depend on the specifics of your storage requirements, but they are a good vendor and we are happy with them.

About SnapManager, it is a nice tool and it does simplify backup/recovery. However, you do not need it to take snapshots ("rsh netapp-ip snap create volname snapname" will work just as well) and we found snapmanager over priced, so we wrote our own snapshot/restore system.

Chen