HP Continuous Access (CA) replicating LUNS question

From: Taylor, Chris David <Chris.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:11:16 -0500

Any of you guys/gals using HP's CA (Continuous Access) product to replicate LUNs to a remote location?

We tested it on several of our LUNS (non-clustered servers) and it seemed to work well.

HOWEVER, when we turned it on for our Oracle Failsafe Cluster (Microsoft Clustering), our Cluster became non-responsive.

We're only replicating our backup drive (non-datafiles, non-quorum lun). The backup LUN (Z:\ drive) is a resource within the cluster but I cannot think of why the cluster might have become unstable due to this issue.

We tried failing the cluster over and it would not fail over.

So I was curious if anyone was using the CA product on a Microsoft Cluster and if you had any thoughts on "gotchas" or things to consider when replicating resource LUNS?

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205