impact of /var/adm/pacct on performance

From: Kumar Madduri <ksmadduri_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 23:52:48 -0700

Hi
What would be the impact of this file on the performancce of the system. When this file was around 2GB the system appeared to have hung and when this file was cleared things were back to normal.

But there was a reporting user who says their reports are running faster after the pacct file was cleared. With my limited understanding of what paacct file is, I interpreted this as follows. Because the pacct file was growing, the kernel cpu usage was growing and when this file hit 2GB, then the system was hung. So all the while, the file has been growing there would have been performance degradation. Once the file is cleared, the kernel cpu % age reduced and this cpu time was available for other processes.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you
- Kumar