Re: stats books?

From: Robert Freeman <>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:16:37 -0700 (PDT)

Amazon sales numbers have just spiked on those two books!! :-)

LOL.... RF

 Robert G. Freeman
OCP: Oracle Database 11g Administrator Certified Professional Study Guide (Sybex) Oracle Database 11g New Features (Oracle Press) Portable DBA: Oracle (Oracle Press)
Oracle Database 10g New Features (Oracle Press) Oracle9i RMAN Backup and Recovery (Oracle Press) Oracle9i New Features (Oracle Press)
Other various titles out of print now... Blog: The LDS Church is looking for DBA's. You do have to be a Church member in good standing. A lot of kind people write me, concerned I may be breaking the law by saying you have to be a Church member. It's legal I promise! :-)

From: Cary Millsap <> To:
Cc: oracle-l <> Sent: Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:45:10 PM Subject: Re: stats books?

As much as I love Lex and Toon's "Applied Mathematics..." book, it is not a statistics book. Nor is Shallahamer's "Forecasting..." book.

For a good intuitive introduction to statistics, I recommend putting $11 down on this one: If you want a really good book with a focus on statistics for performance analysts, use

Cary Millsap

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 11:21 AM, John D Parker <> wrote:

Any one have any suggestions for good stats books for dba's. I continue to discover that I should have signed up for those stats classes back in the dark ages of college. I already have some cap planning books that are full of incomprehensible symbols and formulas. I almost need a how to for performance analyzers with regard to stats. I do some play stuff now with avg and std dev and slope and things but nothing complicated. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated.