Re: dba_extents vs dba_segments

From: <>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:28:10 -0500

Hi everybody:

Thank you for your responses. I will take a look at the documents that you referred me to.

I was under impression that others have surely stumbled upon this and therefore decided not to put any examples into my Email. However, here is what I see:

SQL> select sum(bytes/1024)/1024 from dba_Segments where tablespace_name=

SQL> ch /Segments/extents
  1* select sum(bytes/1024)/1024 from dba_extents where tablespace_name=

SQL> / SUM(BYTES/1024)/1024

As you see the difference is quite significant and the only change in my SQL was going from dba_segments to
dba_extents. The tablespace is a LMTS with uniform extens. The max number of extents in a single segment is

thank you

Gene Gurevich