RE: Moving oracle to new platform.

From: Goulet, Richard <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 16:56:16 -0400

Joel,

    9.2.0.5 for sun Solaris, HP-UX, Linux, etc still appears to be available. Having a new platform that complies with transporting the database in 10g will save you time, but as I remember that won't work for 9i so you need to plan from an export/import process. Now will you existing tools word, well you know grid is available so that's not an issue. As for the others is they work from a remote server, like your desktop, you've got no problems there. Some of your shell scripting may not work as expected, but those can be updated. The biggest problem is the applications your running. If they don't support the OS your moving to then your stuck and if they do you had better plan of testing them thoroughly. The off hours work is going to be one of those things that you'll have to suffer with. Users are a 9 to 5 crowd, but servers aren't.

Dick Goulet