Oracle backups with DS3

From: Fernando N. de Souza <oraclel.20.fn_at_spamgourmet.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:10:00 -0400

Dear DBAs,

My company is using DS3 DataVaulting for server backups (http://www.ds3datavaulting.com). It supports SQL Server, Oracle and DB2 as well.

For those not familiar, DS3 provides a backup solution that backs up, encrypts and copies the data to remote storage on their servers, their "cloud".

We already do SQL Server backups with DS3 but I'm not involved with that. In my little experience it seems to work for small amounts of data but I'm not too crazy about the performance and reliability.

Management asked me to meet with a DS3 representative to discuss using DS3 for Oracle backups.

I'm looking for comments from DBAs out there that are using, or have used, DS3 for Oracle backups. Pros and cons, precautions, recommendations, any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

--

Fernando N. de Souza
Oracle DBA