RE: how to change the SYS password for an ASM instance?

From: John Hallas <John.Hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 08:44:05 +0000

I know Stefan has answered this post showing how to change the password in 11g (although he used SYSDBA when good practise and mandatory from 11R2 will be to use SYSASM).

However I don't understand the RAC reference in the original question. ASM is just a memory/pointer function to link the RDBMS to disk. On each RAC node the sys password can be different and changing it one RAC node will not have any impact on any other RAC node

John

www.jhdba.wordpress.com

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of bao jiejie Sent: 04 March 2009 09:01
To: Oracle-L Group
Subject: how to change the SYS password for an ASM instance?

Dear gurus,

Anyone experience such kind of work to change the sys password of an ASM instance?

will that affect other ASM instances in the RAC nodes also?

first come out to me is logging in as sysdba and "alter user" , of course , can not work,

So how about change it only via ORAPWD ? anyone experienced that before ??

then comes to another question, how to change that in 11g cause it using "connect / as sysasm "

Thanks a lot.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely on the email or its attachments in any way.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC accepts no liability or responsibility for anything said in the email or its attachments and gives no warranty as to accuracy. It is the policy of Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC not to enter into any contractual or other obligations by email.

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility, and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.