Re: How to find the Golden Ratio of databases per given resource?

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 13:33:21 -0800

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 11:48 AM, Charles Schultz <sacrophyte_at_gmail.com>wrote:

> Are there established so-called "Best Practices" that outline how to
> architect such an environment, or a white paper that might go into details
> (ie, stripe levels, how to spread load, what limits to be aware of, etc)?
> Any out there who wish to speak from experience? *grin* I am hoping to get a
> question into Kevin Closson and Christian Bilien, but both men are quite
> busy.

No "best practice" that I am aware of.

There are some common sense things to consider.

Determine the resources available for databases on the server, and don't exceed
that amount of resource usage.

Well, that's a real 'duh', I know, but easier said than done, and probably ignored
by a number of people.

  • Determine a set of databases to consider for installation on a server.
  • Gather Memory usage stats.
  • Gather CPU utilization stats. This one is more problematic if comparing unlike servers, so run some benchmark between disparate systems to give you some idea.
  • Gather IO requirements. As in IOPS, or "I/Os Per Second"

That's the basics.

If your list of databases requires resources exceeding what is available to the server, pare back the list.

Lather, rinse and repeat as needed.

Then add databases to the server, one at a time, monitoring resource usage as you go.

If you've done your homework, all the databases on your list should be able to go
onto the server without issue.

Doing them one at a time avoids accidentally overloading the server in the event
of an 'oops' in the calculations.

Anyway, that's how I do it.

Jared Still