RE: tnsnames.ora file maintenance

From: Goulet, Richard <>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 15:15:46 -0500

We downloaded it and did manage to get it running on Windoze as well as Linux. It is not bad, except that your names are restricted to the first . in the name. In our case CORE.PROD.MMS.US got tied up with CORE.TEST.MMS.US. Type either into tnsping and you got the first one that answered. You have to change them to CORE_PROD_MMS_US. Phooey!

Dick Goulet

[] On Behalf Of Jared Still Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 2:58 PM
Subject: Re: tnsnames.ora file maintenance

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 11:00 AM, Bobak, Mark <> wrote:

        After much experimenting w/ OID, I discovered a much simpler solution, called tnsManager.

I looked at that a few months ago.

Now I can't recall if I got it to work or not.

The problem I see with that is the inevitable issues with any TNS name resolution errors, and working with support.