RE: tnsnames.ora file maintenance

From: Bobak, Mark <>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 14:00:30 -0500

Hi Gene,

After much experimenting w/ OID, I discovered a much simpler solution, called tnsManager. See:

I've been running it a few months now. Simple to setup and configure, runs great, and it MUCH MUCH lighter weight and far less complex than OID.

OID can do a TON of stuff tnsManager can't. But, if all you want is centralized tnsnames.ora, this is the way to go!

I love it!

From: [] On Behalf Of Eugene Pipko Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 1:26 PM
To: ''
Subject: tnsnames.ora file maintenance

Hi all,
I wonder if you can share how you manage your tnsnames.ora file. I currently have about a dozen database servers and each one has tnsnames.ora locally. Whenever IP, server name, ... gets changed I have to remember to update that file accordingly on every box. I am not even mentioning user machines and the fact that not every box needs to have a full set of connections on it.

Eugene Pipko
Seattle Pacific Industries
office: 253.872.5243
cell: 206.304.7726