Re: Creating Grid backup jobs through a script

From: Ian Cary <ian.cary_at_ons.gsi.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 10:23:50 +0000

When you say creating a job using a script I assume you have an issue with using the Job Library and "Create Like" - is there a rason why?

I expect using a script you could update the Grid repository directly but I'm fairly sure you would be unsupported if you did. Having said that our security policy here requires all passwords to be changed every 90 days so I have written a script that updates the preferred credentials directly when this happens - changing them for over 50 databases is not something I want to do manually.

Cheers,

Ian

| | John.Hallas_at_morriso|
| | nsplc.co.uk |
| | Sent by: |
| | oracle-l-bounce_at_fre|
| | elists.org |
| | |
| | |
| | 01/03/2009 09:26 |
| | Please respond to |
| | John.Hallas |
| | |
|---------+------------------------------> >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------| | | | To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org | | cc: | | Subject: Creating Grid backup jobs through a script | >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I am looking at how to consolidate various RMAN backups to be scheduled and managed through Grid. Currently we have a mixture of Grid, crontab and 3rd party schedules running RMAN jobs.

I am guessing that there must be a method of creating a grid job by using a script containing all the credentials, database name, backup type etc but I don’t think I have ever come across any information around this.

Has anybody got any suggestions or even better an example.

Here’s hoping

John

John Hallas
Oracle DBA
Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC
Tel 0845 611 4589 Mob: 07876 790540
E-mail: john.hallas_at_morrisonsplc.co.uk

Wm Morrison Supermarkets Plc is registered in England with number 358949. The registered office of the company is situated at Gain Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD3 7DL. This email and any attachments are intended for the addressee(s) only and may be confidential.

If you are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by replying to the email that you have received in error and then destroy the email. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy or rely on the email or its attachments in any way.

Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC accepts no liability or responsibility for anything said in the email or its attachments and gives no warranty as to accuracy. It is the policy of Wm Morrison Supermarkets PLC not to enter into any contractual or other obligations by email.

Although we have taken steps to ensure the email and its attachments are virus-free, we cannot guarantee this or accept any responsibility, and it is the responsibility of recipients to carry out their own virus checks.

This email was received from the INTERNET and scanned by the Government Secure Intranet anti-virus service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) In case of problems, please call your organisation’s IT Helpdesk. Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes.

For the latest data on the economy and society consult National Statistics at http://www.statistics.gov.uk

Please Note: Incoming and outgoing email messages are routinely monitored for compliance with our policy on the use of electronic communications

Legal Disclaimer : Any views expressed by the sender of this message are not necessarily those of the Office for National Statistics

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government Secure Intranet virus scanning service supplied by Cable&Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs. (CCTM Certificate Number 2007/11/0032.) On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus free. Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or recorded for legal purposes. †Ûiÿü0ÁúÞzX¬¶Ê+ƒün– {ú+iÉ^ Received on Mon Mar 02 2009 - 04:23:50 CST

Original text of this message