RE: ORA-00018 issues

From: Michael Fontana <mfontana_at_enkitec.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:33:52 -0600 (CST)

How many sessions are the maximum allowed in your particular database?

I notice your user is executing a portal pooling program which might actually generate several sessions. We've run into this with java pools before, specifically in the BEA portal program. Each session actually spawns X*Y "pooled" sessions, where X and Y are parameters within the config file for the portal itself.

The theory behind this is that the application has a connection pool, and thereby each individual transaction avoids the overhead of connect/disconnect. The problem is they are started, in advance, before the application is even available, and the database must accommodate the computed value.

The best way, short of parsing through the documentation for the product configuration (and which is not always to be trusted), would be to temporarily set sessions to a very high number to see how many are actually required. You can then decide whether you can afford the actual number plus a little bit more (in terms of resources) or find out how to ratchet it down within the application.