Re: Dan Tow's SQL formula

From: amonte <ax.mount_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 08:12:33 +0100

Hi

I am having some private mailing with Dan, basically I came up with 3 possible selectivities

  1. Dan's formula gets a selectivity of 0.225274725
  2. 1/NDV, 0.166666667
  3. With histograms for different value we get different result if we use literals and not binds so for example mgr = 7698 we would get a selectivity of *count(mgr) where mgr = 7698 / count(mgr)* which is 5/13 which is 0.384615385. But for mgr = 7782 we would get an selectivity of 0.076923077 (much better and lower selectivity) but with binds we know what is the problem, the bind peeking

Thanks for the reply

Alex