Re: Specifying DOP at object level in an OLTP Production DB.

From: Andrew Kerber <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 08:05:21 -0600

I agree to a certain extent, and disagree to a certain extent. Well tuned PQ can work wonders when your primary query type is a range scan. PQ can kill a database if you have multiple large table scans running in an OLTP environment. If you have full control of the queries running in your environment, then it is not necessarily a problem. Admittedly, try as you might few, DBA's have full control of all the queries running on their database.

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 7:46 AM, FMHabash <> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply for an appearantly unpopular inquiry. I have a
> situation where 2 quries executing simultaneously at 2000/hr always do in
> parallel. When they do, cpu idle goes near 0. We took out the parallel hint,
> but the xplan continues to show PE. This db has 30% of RT in PE: slave
> enqueue waits. The table themselves have default DOP, but eventually we
> narrowed it down to the indexes which have it set at 6. Our plan, is to
> reset DOP to default for all objects. These are the ROT that I can list
> - For an OLTP db, no objects should have a non-default DOP.
> - high execution count quries in an oltp, should not go parallel
> - if PE is needed for some reason, can be done at session level.
> Do you agree/disagree with this logic?
> Thanks again

Andrew W. Kerber