RE: RAC and ASM - Standard vs. Enterprise Edition install process ?

From: Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 11:51:59 -0500

We only use Oracle's CRS for RAC. I did run across a Metalink note about migrating a db from EE to SE, and the only supported way was export, deinstall / reinstall software, recreate db and import the data. I found somebody else on the net that did it using a far more complex method but they indicated that there were still some issues to be worked out.

From: Dan Norris [mailto:dannorris_at_dannorris.com] Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 11:48 AM To: Crisler, Jon
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: RAC and ASM - Standard vs. Enterprise Edition install process ?

I don't think there's much to it. Just make sure your SE uses *only* Oracle Clusterware (no 3rd party clusterware integration) and you use ASM for the database storage (put OCR and Voting disk on raw or CFS if you'd like).

Beyond that, I'd just do the installation, create a DB, and migrate to it using whatever method you like (TTS, data pump, exp/imp, whatever). I suppose you could print it out and type it all back in again, but wouldn't recommend that method :).

Not sure if that answers your question or not. I think there was a ML note about moving a DB from EE to SE (like if you just did a physical backup/restore or clone from EE to SE). IIRC, that was also possible, but you had to make some checks to ensure that the DB wasn't using any EE features before moving it.

Dan

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Crisler, Jon <Jon.Crisler_at_usi.com> wrote:

Thanks Dan - you always come through for me !!

Have you actually done a RAC using Standard Edition ? The reason I am in this mess is that we have historically only done installs for Enterprise Edition, but somebody slipped in a install for Standard Edition which is not certified in my company. Nobody caught it, and the install was done with EE. We now have to go back and redo this install due to licensing restrictions and I am trying to figure out the easiest way.