What am I missing?

From: William Wagman <wjwagman_at_ucdavis.edu>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:19:57 -0800

Greetings,

I'm running oracle 9.2.0.8.0EE on RHEL4, all 64-bit. I have a login.sql where a few usernames and passwords are defined and I am able to connect successfully...

[oracle_at_critpinn ~]$ sqlplus /

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.8.0 - Production on Thu Feb 19 12:58:33 2009 Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved. Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.8.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.8.0 - Production

SQL> CONNECT &&UCD_USER/&&UCD_PASSWORD;
Connected.

However if I initially issue a whenever oserror the connection fails with a no such file or directory message...

[oracle_at_critpinn ~]$ sqlplus /

.
.
SQL> WHENEVER OSERROR EXIT SQL.SQLCODE ROLLBACK SQL> CONNECT &&UCD_USER/&&UCD_PASSWORD
O/S Message: No such file or directory
Disconnected from Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.8.0 - 64bit Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options JServer Release 9.2.0.8.0 - Production

This behaves differently on the development box, ie, I don't get disconnected as a result of the whenever oserror clause. I am unable to find a difference between the two boxes which would cause the error and web searching has not revealed anything yet. Strace reveals that the files

$ORACLE_HOME/lib/libngss9.so &
$ORACLE_HOME/lib/libnnts9.so

Don't exist but they do not exist on the devel box either. I see many seeks and immediately before it dumps there is a line with text...

Lseek (7, 0, SEEK_CUR) = -1 ESPIPE (Illegal seek)

But I have no idea what that means. I can't for the life of me determine what file is being sought in this case. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated. Even suggestions for how to trace the problem further.

Thanks.

Bill Wagman
Univ. of California at Davis
IET Campus Data Center