Re: Oracle http server errors

From: Dan Norris <dannorris_at_dannorris.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:58:27 -0600

Don,

You didn't say why you turned keepalive off, but I presume from your wording that doing so reduced the number of errors you have received. I believe that the error is due to an HTML form that failed to submit required (non-default) parameters to the procedure (bwckctlg.p_display_courses). The parameters that were not submitted are listed in the error message for you.

Given that you're a university, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that a student or prospective student with too much idle time decided to have some fun and try to "hack" registrations somehow. You'd have to see that the referer logs (if you collect them) confirm that or not. I would assume that the referer URL should come from the same server. If it doesn't, then possibly some student has set up an HTML form somewhere to have some "fun" with your system.

To find the source of the issue (assuming it is an app problem and not a malicious action), I would identify the places in your code that result in a call to p_display_courses and see what HTML (or possibly dynamically generated HTML from a different procedure) results in a call to that procedure. It appears that submitted HTML form is not correctly submitting the parameters to the p_display_courses procedure.

Good luck,
Dan