Re: PeopleSoft and Logical Standby

From: steve montgomerie <stmontgo_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:43:36 -0500

In terms of Li Li's original question I'm not so sure that a logical standby would be a great idea for PS to help with rolling upgrades.

For a physical standby though you may be able to avert down time associated with server patches, storage maintenance etc.

Now back to TAF. I finally got a test case going

I'm working off of this note

Subject:     Failover Connections for Data Guard Error with ORA-1033
      Doc ID:     461874.1     Type:     PROBLEM
      Modified Date:     04-APR-2008     Status:     PUBLISHED

My config is PS HR89 Demo database on Oracle 10.2.0.4 on OEL 4.6.

I have a primary on one server and a physical standby on another. All set up and managed
with dataguard through Grid control.

Here's what I did

Logged on to PS and navigated some screens

Initiated a switchover operation and waited for that to complete - took less than a minute

Revisited my PS web session and continued to navigate screens. I did not have to log in again. I continued
on from before the switchover operation.

Now for the unlucky person who is doing something transactional at the time of the switchover their transaction would be a do over. I still have more to test but I believe in this case the user would receive and error and a subsequent retry would be successful.

I still have to test process scheduler. For process scheduler I would be more inclined to simply shut it down
before the switchover, and thene depending upon the maintenance activity start it up aft the switchover or the switchback.

For example, Server Admin wants to apply server patch which he estimates would be 30 minutes. In this case shut down process scheduler, switchover, let admin apply patch, switch back and then restart process scheuler. Here at least on line access is not so encumbered. For a longer outage lasting say for example several hours then maybe start process scheduler on the standby.

Hope this is of interest, I am open to ideas for testing failover connections if anyone wants to propose some use cases.

Steve