RE: Oracle Performance on Sun X-series vs. M-series

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 11:35:20 -0700

I just wanted to share with the list a good resource that Somckit Khemmanivanh directed me to - http://spec.org/cpu2006/results/

Below are some results I compiled from spec.org that seem to show that the X4150 significantly outperformed the M4000 in every category (unless I'm misinterpreting the results - someone please let me know). I'm not sure exactly how well this will translate into real world performance for an Oracle database, but it looks promising.

Based on this and some other very helpful replies I've received in private in favor of the X-series, plus my own good experiences with the comparable Xeon servers from Dell, we're moving forward with the X4250s. Thank you very much to all who have replied!

Regards,
Brandon

(Sorry for the formatting - I tried to send as an HTML table first, but it was too big and the list rejected id) - it should come out pretty good if you copy & paste into Excel):

Speed Tests:

Test Sponsor    Test Type       System Name     Auto Parallel   Processor       Results
                                Cores   Chips   Cores/Chip      Threads/Core    Base    Peak
Sun Microsystems        INT     Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000      No      8       4       2       2               9             11
Sun Microsystems        INT     Sun Fire X4150  Yes     8       2       4       1            24               28
Sun Microsystems        FP      Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000      No      8       4       2       2            11               12
Sun Microsystems        FP      Sun Fire X4150  Yes     8       2       4       1            20               24

Rate (Throughput) Tests:
Test Sponsor    Test Type       System Name     Base Copies     Processor        Results
                                Cores   Chips   Cores/Chip      Threads/Core     Base    Peak
Sun Microsystems        INT     Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000      16      8       4       2       2            69               82
Sun Microsystems        INT     Sun Fire X4150  8       8       2       4       1          108     133
Sun Microsystems        FP      Sun SPARC Enterprise M4000      16      8       4       2       2            67               71
Sun Microsystems        FP      Sun Fire X4150  8       8       2       4       1            69               77