RE: ** commit or rollback - diff

From: Goulet, Richard <>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 08:56:28 -0500

    No I don't think you dreamed up anything because I remember that same all the way back to V3. But in the case where you have no transactions open I do believe that a commit or rollback is basically the same.

Dick Goulet

From: [] Sent: Friday, February 13, 2009 8:52 AM
To: Goulet, Richard
Subject: RE: ** commit or rollback - diff

so it is just my imagination or does any else remember (the old days, of i think either v6 or 7 of oracle), when if you did a large transaction and decided to rollback and it was quick and a commit took a while, but then oracle did a switch since the majority of the time the commit was what happened and it was now quick and the rollback took time to complete, or did i just dream that whole thing up?

Joe Testa, Oracle Certified Professional Senior Consultant
Data Engineering and Administration
Nationwide Investments

(Work) 614-677-1668
(Cell) 614-312-6715

Interested in helping out your marriage? Ask me about "Weekend to Remember"
Dec 11-13, 2009 here in Columbus.

From: 	"Goulet, Richard" <>
To: 	<>, <>
Date: 	02/13/2009 08:47 AM
Subject: 	RE: ** commit or rollback - diff
Sent by:

From that point of view I do believe they are equal.

Dick Goulet

From: Goulet, Richard <> Subject: RE: ** commit or rollback - diff To:, Date: Thursday, February 12, 2009, 4:38 PM

Rollback is safer just incase you did a DML transaction without knowing it like inside a procedure.

Dick Goulet

<> ] On Behalf Of A Joshi
Sent: Thursday, February 12, 2009 4:32 PM To:
Subject: ** commit or rollback - diff

   If I have not done a dml transaction in a session : no update, delete or insert etc. I have only done select and some of the objects can be over a db link. So I can do a commit or rollback so that no transaction is pending in my session. My question is : is there any difference in such case between the behaviour of commit and rollback. When there is no data as such to commit or rollback. I am thinking it is better to do rollback since it has to do less. Am I wrong. Any observation. Thanks for help. Thanks