RE: Oracle Performance on Sunfire T2000

From: Tanel Poder <tanel_at_poderc.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 01:29:54 -0700

There's one more catch with slow single thread execution with high parallelism in Oracle. If you migrate from 4 fast CPUs to 128 slow threads, you will have much heavier latch contention on busy latches. Doing whatever work under protection of a latch will probably take longer, thus the latch is held for longer. And instead of 3-4 concurrent threads trying to get the latch at the same time you'll potentially have few hundred ones....

Glenn Fawcett has quite a few useful blog entries about Oracle performance on Sun CMT processors http://blogs.sun.com/glennf/tags/throughput

Tanel.